Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:26:23 +0000
From: nate.mcfeters@...il.com
To: "reepex" <reepex@...il.com>, full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	"pdp (architect)" <pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com>,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: on xss and its technical merit

This is ridiculous.  Not to mention the implications for users of financial web apps, you still have to consider that xss is a great delivery mechanism for all sorts of attacks.  When you evaluate a flaw, you must evaluate the risk it presents to a victim.  Xss provides a rich attack surface.  Its not just stealing cookies anymore, which, btw is still a valid flaw and a great risk on some applications.

While on principal I agree that xss is no where near as technical to perform, does that even matter?  I would state that you actually strengthen the argument for xss being an issue by saying this.  If it is less technical, then it is easier for less tech people to exploit.

Hopefully I didn't miss any major point made in all the inline comments, but xss is an issue tech or not.

Now, should it be on full disc?  Depends In my view.  If it is momscookies.com, of course not.  But If it is a widely used framework, device, or web app, then I say why not?

I will leave my comments on the subject at that, as this is a debate I've heard far too many times now.

Believing xss is a non issue is like believing global warming doesn't exist.

Nate
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile