Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:51:30 +0800
From: "Eduardo Tongson" <propolice@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Wordpress Cookie Authentication Vulnerability

Hello folks,

I wonder why we don't see web applications use secure cookie recipes
like [1] and [2]. There are also existing secure password hashing
frameworks such as Solar's [3]. Are developers just unaware of these
secure schemes?.

Amusingly a proprietary web application I audited used static tokens.
Even if you change your password cookies are still valid. Even
passwords are stored as raw MD5 hashes on the database. I think
programmers should be taught secure practices from the start.

[1] <http://cookies.lcs.mit.edu/pubs/webauth:tr.pdf>
[2] <http://www.cse.msu.edu/~alexliu/publications/Cookie/cookie.pdf>
[3] <http://www.openwall.com/phpass/>

Eduardo Tongson  NCCS