Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 04:02:40 -0000
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Inside the "Ron Paul" Spam Botnet

[Half the backstory, gg, lol, etc.  And we are led to somewhere in
Eastern Europe, a dead-end I hear you say!  No, no no... let's think
like a spammer, one who just had his botnet toasted ... he knows the
identity of his sponsor.  That sponsor, if exposed, stands to lose a
lot, and thus that identity is worth money.  My advice to the spammer
now is to approach a major western media outlet and sell them your
story.  At least that way you cover the loss of your botnet.  We'd
all just love to find out which lowlife paid you, even more than we'd
love to know who you are.  Don't leave the CIS tho ... - Stu]

Inside the "Ron Paul" Spam Botnet

Date: December 4, 2007
Author: Joe Stewart

On the weekend of October 27, 2007, the Internet was suddenly
bombarded with a rash of spam emails promoting U.S. presidential
candidate Ron Paul. The spam run continued until Tuesday, October 30,
when it stopped as suddenly as it began. At the same time, political
blogs began to light up, accusing the campaign (or at least its
ardent supporters) of running a criminal botnet for political
purposes. We decided to cut through the spin and take a closer look
at this botnet to determine its origins and shine some light on who
might be responsible.

Tracking the Spam

Tracking specific spam back to a particular piece of botnet malware
is somewhat challenging, but given the right cooperation between
researchers who hold different pieces of the puzzle, ...

[continues at http://www.secureworks.com/research/threats/ronpaul ..]

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)