Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:56:20 -1000
From: Peter Besenbruch <prb@...a.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: PWDumpX v1.4 (and GUI:s)

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 09:36:07 Markus Jansson wrote:
> OK, OK, I get your point. If you use GUI, you are lamer, because you
> could do fine without them 20 years ago so you should be able to do
> just fine without them now too.

I don't think you get anyone's point. From reading this thread the CLI has the
edge because:

1) It is more flexible.
2) You can more easily script it.
3) It works better with remote systems.

You mentioned DOS, that it is 20 years old, and that people should "upgrade."
DOS is actually 26 years old, and most people here use some flavor of *nix,
which can be run with a very nice GUI, yet they still use the CLI for certain
tasks. Why? See above.

Finally, even when DOS was king, the *nix users would speak about how crippled
its CLI was compared to Unix. Now there is Linux and the MacOS, both with
multiple, very powerfull CLI environments. I understand the MacOS has an
adequate GUI as well, but the CLI plays a major role in the OS's
attractiveness to the hard core geek.