Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 01:07:50 -0600
From: "Nate McFeters" <nate.mcfeters@...il.com>
To: secreview <secreview@...hmail.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Professional IT Security Providers -
	Exposed] PlanNetGroup ( F )

SecReview,
My 2 cents on your review, although I will try to be nicer then you were to
the reviewee.  I'm completely skipping your section where you talked to the
non-technical person, that's not even fair... sorta like reviewing a
consulting group based on their website alone... oh shit, I forgot you guys
do that too.

Your comments on Question 1:

We're not impressed with Michael's answer. First off we have no idea what
the hell this means: "Depending on time and availability, we will work on
finding any new vulnerability if we generate an anomaly of interest." And we
totally disagree with "Currently, the focus is primarily on discovering new
Oracle vulnerabilities - as MS SQL 2K5 is more difficult to beat on,
compared to Oracle." In fact, whatever is being described above doesn't
sound anything like a vulnerability assessment, we're not sure what kind of
service it is.

The first portion "Depending on time and availability..." I don't understand
what your confusion is.  Basically the responder is saying that he's willing
to do what the client will pay him for.  Consulting is not a cookie-cutter
gig, so sometimes clients want you to spend 5 minutes running scans, some
want you to fuzz a proprietary protocol for as long as it takes.  I
personally don't think either end of the extreme is of value to the client,
but you can hardly fault the respondent for delivering what the client asks
for.

The second, I don't agree the overall focus is on Oracle, but if you read
the new (ZDnet, eWeek), or if you follow the conferences (HITB Malaysia 2007
great Oracle presnetation), then you will know that Oracle is catching a bit
of the limelight.  Besides that, I don't think you are qualified to say what
exactly a vulnerability assessment is... if the client is paying you to
assess their database servers, then that is a vulnerability assessment of
their database servers and that is what the work is.  Different clients have
different needs, and their are different specialty consulting groups to help
meet those... can hardly fault him if his specialty is databases.

Your Comments on Question 2:

>>trying to be cute with your "Again, carefully!" bullshit?

Come on guys... imagine you get called by a group of people asking to assess
your company and you don't know who they are, wouldn't you try to befriend
them if possible?  A little professionalism would go a long way to improving
your reviews.

>>A penetration test is not "Anything Goes!"

Umm... sorry guys, there is plenty of cause for performing a Denial of
Service test.  Keep in mind that availability is a large portion of what
security is about.  I don't think he's talking about using a bot net to try
to take them down.

>>it doesn't sound like Michael knows how to perform IDS evasion testing.
Using a proxy is >>not going to help anyone evade detection, it will just
help them to hide their IP address.

Hmm... well, you're partially right.  I suppose that if he had enough proxy
servers and kept his scans very focused, he "might" be able to get around an
IDS.  In any case, not all clients want IDS evasion performed... for
instance, they may want to test their incident response, or, they may allow
the consulting group through the IPS/IDS in an effort to save on time and
costs.

Your response to question 3:

>>>From the answer above, it looks like they like the same tools as most
people. That said, >>we've seen no proof of talent from anyone at
PlanNetGroup yet. So we're near certain that >>their deliverables ARE the
product of automation.

If they are the same tools that everyone use, how can you knock them for
that?  It seems to me that a group starts with a score of 0 in your book,
and then if they impress you they get points.  If you don't ask the right
questions, I don't see how they could impress you.  I concede, it is
certainly possible that they have no skills, and that they use automation,
but I don't think it is fair to say that at this point of the review.

Your response to question 4:

>>Woha, it takes too much time to create a fake deliverable? Well that's one
way to get out >>of it, but we don't buy it. Either way, at this point we
don't feel that a sample report would >>help this review, we've seen nothing
impressive yet.

Ever tried to do so?  It does take awhile, and it is risky.  If you miss
sanitization and release results of one of your clients you could get sued.
 Perhaps given the context of the investigation he didn't want to give you
an old report and it would take to long and too much of his billable time to
actually get this to you.  That's not unreasonable.  You aren't paying him.
 Again with the comments of nothing impressive yet.  You are asking generic
questions, how could anything be impressive?  It's a phone call or email and
you are asking questions that almost all consulting groups should have
relatively the same answers to... I see nothing impressive in that at all.

Your response to question 5:

>>It sounds like Michael has a difficult time sticking to the scope of work.
Any time anyone >>performs Distributed Metastasis it should be built into a
scope of work first. If it is not, >>then do not perform the testing because
it is invasive and will get you into trouble. This is >>a big negative point
in our eyes as its critical that providers are able to adhere to the scope
>>of work for each specific engagement.

I actually agree with most of this, but then again, as long as he doesn't go
over the clients budgetary and time constraints and is providing the
customer with value, I have no problem with going outside of scope as long
as the client does not.  Also, I don't know that it is a big negative as you
say.

Your response to question 6:

>>It sounds like Michael is a corporate security guy and has no experience
as a hacker.
Bit of a blanket statement I'd say, but OK, let's assume you are correct
>>Certifications hold little to no water when it comes to real IT security.
Agreed, but you are totally putting words into his mouth.  He basically says
the same thing by calling the CISSP a definition test.  Why do that?  Most
people in security have the certs... most realize they are worth nothing and
don't really test tech knowledge, but instead test business knowledge.
>>What does hold water is experience and from what we can tell, Michael has
no real hacker >>experience.
Please define "no real hacker experience".  If you mean he isn't 31337 like
you guys, then OK.  BTW, most clients aren't just paying for "real hacker
experience" they're also paying for the business side, i.e. what is my risk,
how can I mitigate, etc.  A good team has both people.

On your response to question 7:

Do you resell third party technologies?

>>We don't think that it is a good idea that Professional IT Security
Providers sell third party >>technologies. Specifically because they become
biased towards a specific technology and >>push that technology as a method
of remediation when better methods might already exist.
Agreed.  But that said, what if your third-party tech. has nothing to do
with the main thrust of your consulting work?  The question is pretty vague.

On your response to question 8 and 9:

Ok, I'll buy that you have cookie cutter definitions from google of those
flaws and that his definitions don't fit.  I'll even buy that you make a
good point when you say EIP overwrite is not the only method of exploitation
(especially these days), but I'm wondering what you expected.  Should he
have rattled on and on about how to exploit b0f in an XP SP 2 environment?
 Talk to you at length about DEP?  Bit ridiculous expectations.  Hell, while
your at it, why didn't you ask him about integer overflows?  Off-by
one/few/many exploits?  Heap overflows?  Why not have him recite the Heap
Fung Sheui method to you?  What about double free flaws, dangling pointers,
etc. etc. etc.  Let's be serious here, unless you are contracted by
Microsoft or another major software vendor, you probably don't pay the bills
by doing your own research, so... does this really matter?  Sure, it's
great... I'd like to know that consultants I was paying top dollar to knew
about this, but if he comes on site and spends 3 weeks trying to find an
integer overflow, I'm going to be pissed.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a client of PlanNetGroup.  Also, I don't think what you are trying
to do is a terrible thing, there's lots of snake oil being sold in the
commoditized security market out there, but I disapprove of your
professionalism and your methods.  Also, I believe the list is still waiting
for you to credentialize yourself/yourselves.  That still hasn't seem to be
grasped here.  Look, if you're someone people respect, then maybe people
will buy your reviews, but somehow I doubt that is the case.  I'm basing
that view off of the content of your website and the fact that you still
have not credentialized yourself as the list called for so long ago.  Do
that, and I will re-review my review of your reviews.

Nate

Content of type "text/html" skipped