Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:26:20 -0400
From: Kern <timetrap@...il.com>
To: "Jardel Weyrich" <w.jardel@...il.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, Stefan Kanthak <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>,
	Larry Seltzer <Larry@...ryseltzer.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Firewire Attack on Windows Vista

Hi, I am new to this list.

I was reading your messages, and began to wonder; For a temporary fix action
why not just disable the ability to install new firewire devices?  I know
that this does not fix the fundamental problem, but it could work as a
decent kludge.

I am reminded of the NSA Security Guide on Disabling USB
Devices<http://www.nsa.gov/snac/support/I731-002R-2007.pdf>,
how do these actions translate to firewire?

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Jardel Weyrich <w.jardel@...il.com> wrote:

> Larry, there is no disk involved on the problem, only memory.
> So if the disk is encrypted or not, doesn't matter.
>
> Regards,
> Jardel Weyrich

> > doesn't get the point!
> >
> > So on a freshly-booted system with drive encryption you can read
> > whatever you want on the disk?

> > <http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/12/12/circumventi
> > ng-group-policy-as-a-limited-user.aspx<http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/12/12/circumventing-group-policy-as-a-limited-user.aspx>
> > >

> > What he says is that some group policies, not including system-wide
> > security settings, maybe circumvented, even by a limited user.
> >
> > Larry Seltzer
> > eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
> > http://security.eweek.com/
> > http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/