Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:33:52 -0700
From: "Eric Rachner" <eric@...hner.us>
To: "'FD'" <fd@....ac>,
	"'Larry Seltzer'" <Larry@...ryseltzer.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Firewire Attack on Windows Vista

Re. where you said,

"yes, if the system is off and you can turn it on (e.g. no bios or hdd
encryption passwords) you can bypass the logon screen. this is because
the tool searches for the function "MsvpPasswordValidate" in memory and
patches it to allow any password."

That's correct, but not entirely.  Yes, you can patch Winlogon to allow any
password, but that does not necessarily mean you can access the user's data.

#1, you will not be able to access any resources which are encrypted using
Windows protected storage.  This includes all EFS-protected files, as well
as stored passwords for IE, Outlook, etc.  All of these secrets are
protected using keys which are derived from the user's credentials.
Obviously if the system is unable to reconstruct these keys, then the
protected data will be out of reach.  (This would be true regardless of
whether or not the logged-on account belongs to a domain.)

#2, you will not be able to access network resources as the user.  Again,
this is because when the machine authenticates to remote resources, it does
so by providing a proof which is calculated from the user's credentials.
And again, without access to the user's credentials, the system won't be
able to perform network authentication on the user's behalf.

In a real-world scenario, as the attacker, I would prefer to install a
Trojan in order to capture the user's credentials the next time they log on.

- Eric