Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:45:46 +0000
From: n3td3v <xploitable@...il.com>
To: n3td3v <n3td3v@...glegroups.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: sans handler gives out n3td3v e-mail to public

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Kern <timetrap@...il.com> wrote:
> Well . . . worried DOES have a good point . . . I think SANS dropped the
> ball on that, BUT I don't know if this is going to be a "media event".
>
> I have had a little dealing with various handlers  (the few I have talked to
> seemed nice enough).  But this is common; an employee using a written policy
> to basically do something unethical.
>
> The "spirit" of the notice is to protect the identity of the submitter, the
> "letter" is regarding the use of the submission form.
>
> SANS has based its value on intelligence gathering.  They unify an unwieldy
> field of study (Internet, and computer security).  By trying to undermine
> SANS on IRC, worried created a hostile environment to resolve a perfectly
> legitimate problem.
>
> You have to use logic, not flame bait.

Its not just about the one line at http://isc.sans.org/contact.html
that says "All submissions are kept confidential. Your submission will
reach all ISC handlers. Your e-mail address will only be used to reply
to your submission."

There is a whole privacy document that's supposed to protect me at
http://www.sans.org/privacy.php

"This privacy statement applies to information collected by web
addresses in the sans.org, sans.edu, giac.org, and other domains owned
and operated by SANS, GIAC, and the Escal Institute, hereafter
referred to collectively as SANS."

His argument that I should have used the form when handlers@...s.org
is at the bottom of the http://isc.sans.org

"(c) 2000-2008 The SANS™ Institute
SANS Web Privacy Policy: www.sans.org/privacy.php - Web Contact:
handlers@...s.org
report bugs please include debug info (opens new window)
Policy On SANS Trademark Usage"

I didn't bypass anything, the e-mail address I used is at the bottom
of their internet storm center, so what he said was complete bullshit.

My e-mails sent straight to handlers@...s.org is still supposed to be
covered by http://www.sans.org/privacy.php

I will never send intelligence to them again, and I hope this goes out
as a warning to any other underground folks that they don't take their
privacy document seriously.

How can they run a successful intelligence operation at sans if their
informants can't trust them to respect their privacy?

All the best with your intelligence operations sans, hope you are
giving away more e-mails on irc soon!!!

You have just fucked with a major player in the underground with the
biggest google group around of over 4164 members and counting.

The person in question who done this made fun of the wrong person, I
don't take privacy violations likely.