Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:25:37 -0400
From: "Garrett M. Groff" <groffg@...design.com>
To: <Throwaway1@...umbus.rr.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Free Iraq

Excellent points, with exception to the gratuitious name-calling (just b/c
there are annoying people on this list who throw out invective doesn't mean
we should submit to our temptation to do the same vile practice back to
them).

I'll add the following (despite the fact that it's grossly off-topic!). The
Iraq war was more than just a follow-up to a UN resolution or two. It was a
desire by neo-conservatives to re-make the Middle East. That desire is
partly strategic and partly political. Strategic: eliminate the threat of
WMD proliferation (including to Salafist groups like Al Qaeda) by scaring
rogue-ish countries into thinking "they're next" if they don't behave
(think, Libya). The strategic plan was to go beyond Iraq and is often
referred to as a "domino effect" whereby other mid-east nations liberalize
their political systems and economies. Political: free up huge oil fields in
Mesopotamia, bringing down global oil prices. Also, empower Republicans,
making them appear more responsive & pro-active in a post-911 world to
threats posed by rogue nations & global terrorist groups.

My focus is strategic, since the political side-effects are less important
and less justifiable than the strategic argument.

Result...
Unforutnately, the nation-rebuilding effort is not going well (compared to
the actual "war" which went well by historic standards, lasting only about 4
weeks; everything since has involved dealing with the war's aftermath). I
can think of specific things that would have made the nation re-building
campaign much more likely to succeed. Rather than a lengthy explanation on
that, I'll say this. Think about what would have happened if the Bush
administration weren't so inept and if Iraq had been a successful model of
nation re-building. That model could be replicated to other nation-states
that are arguably and egregiously bad, be it countries with a) too much
government (dictatorships) or b) too little government (many African states,
which are tribal & lack sufficient central governance).

A "nation re-making" process that falls under UN legitimacy would be
powerful, shifting the American focus from maintaining the "superpower
status quo" to "making the world better." Sounds controversial (like some
imperial colonial fantasy), but try living in the DPRK, Cuba, or Sudan, and
tell me those nations aren't screwed up and wouldn't go for a "nation
re-making" make-over, provided that it actually worked.

The US (and others) will certainly engage in nation re-building again. If
you don't believe that, then check out recent US history. It's really just a
question of when, where, and to what extent. Next time, I hope the war's
aftermath goes substantially better and involves broad international
legitimacy, not to mention significant involvement in the post-war phase
(where the US actually needs allies).

- G