Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:05:09 -0500
From: "Nate McFeters" <nate.mcfeters@...il.com>
To: "auto263090@...hmail.com" <auto263090@...hmail.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Perl Underground speaks

Hey Perl Underground,

Maybe I missed something, could you provide some context around your gripe
against RSnake?  I'm struggling a bit with it, and your email is quite long
and heavily line broken, making it hard to read.

I've found RSnake to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to web
application security, and while I don't consider myself a fan boy, have
respect for him.  Perhaps you could take a step back and give us an idea
what your general concern is before ripping him?

I may have missed something in a previous email, just not seeing anything
concrete in your message.

Nate

On 4/10/08, auto263090@...hmail.com <auto263090@...hmail.com> wrote:

> This is Perl Underground here. We thought we could respond to a
> couple
> kids, cause there ain't nothin' like dissin' on FD. Part of this
> rant
> is just in general, and might end up in Perl Underground 6. So it's
> be considered BETA, and thus criticism is UNACCEPTABLE!!!
>
> Just kidding.
>
> RSnake and his talentless fanboys would like to diss Perl
> Underground in
> any way he can to mend any damage to his image. He likens us to Perl
> programmers he has schooled on security topics. This may mend his
> ego, but
> does not reflect accurately on the people of Perl Underground nor
> does it
> help understand the Perl issues we brought forth. RS wants to give
> the
> impression that he is an incredibly talented individual (a "Web
> application security god") who has, without reason, been maliciously
> targetted for a year by Perl programmers who must be untalented,
> otherwise
> they would be public. Nevermind that we critiqued many others, or
> that we
> connect readers with more positive information than poor code.
> Nope, we
> must be all about RSnake jealously.
>
> IceShamen claims we "pedantically analysed everything line for
> line" while
> RS states "I don't have a year to debug a small program, like
> apparently
> he does".
>
> A contributor spends maybe twenty minutes going over code of this
> size. We
> stated explicably in past zines that we are merciful and only
> discuss the
> occasional issue. Until you actually learn Perl, RSnake, it's
> hardly worth
> our time to teach you Perl OOP or proper documentation technique
> (what you
> call "Perldoc" is generally called "POD", by the way, but
> whatever). We do
> not intend to fix your code. Instead we simply offer the occasional
> suggestion to make you think. You two are responsible for your own
> code,
> it isn't our fault there are so many issues that we can only
> discuss (and
> notice, for that matter) a certain amount in a given publication
> size.
>
> "and the -w flag? Most people I know who write code for a living
> only turn
> that on while debugging. Once you put it into production why would
> you
> keep it turned on?"
>
> I bet the people you know who write code for a living are shit with
> Perl
> too. The warnings pragma (*not* just the -w flag, there are slight
> differences in practice but that's getting beyond you and offtopic)
> [...]

Content of type "text/html" skipped