Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:30:23 -0400
From: "Erik Harrison" <eharrison@...il.com>
To: "Luigi Auriemma" <aluigi@...istici.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	vuln@...unia.com
Subject: Re: Secunia Research: Lotus Notes Folio Flat File
	Parsing Buffer Overflows

Its not always easy to know what libs all of your apps are using. Unless of
course you're managing a small set of systems, have a lot of time, or are
particularly godlike at what you do. I think it's great that they identify
the software using it. Frankly, if I'm in an enterprise environment running
Lotus for some god awful reason, that's going to get my attention more than
one of its libraries.

Yes, it does inflate their stats on number of vuln advisories published in a
year, but whatever - I don't care about that. What's the better way to deal
with it? Try and push one advisory listing 1000 apps affected in its
content? Even then, you're not going to have a accurate list. I think it
-is- better to publish one advisory per affected piece of software. When I'm
skimming the 100 or so that hit my inbox every day, I don't have the luxury
of opening each one. Unfortunate, but that's reality of most security staff.

It's only going to get worse. Reporting is going to increase and threats are
going to apply to far more products inheriting the same code. What's the
best, most scalable way of dealing with this? Anyone have any ideas on that
one?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Luigi Auriemma <aluigi@...istici.org>
wrote:

> > Autonomy Keyview Folio Flat File Parsing Buffer Overflows
> > Autonomy Keyview Applix Graphics Parsing Vulnerabilities
> > Autonomy Keyview EML Reader Buffer Overflows
> > activePDF DocConverter Folio Flat File Parsing Buffer Overflows
> > activePDF DocConverter Applix Graphics Parsing Vulnerabilities
> > Lotus Notes Applix Graphics Parsing Vulnerabilities
> > Lotus Notes Folio Flat File Parsing Buffer Overflows
> > Lotus Notes EML Reader Buffer Overflows
> > Lotus Notes kvdocve.dll Path Processing Buffer Overflow
> > Lotus Notes htmsr.dll Buffer Overflows
> > Symantec Mail Security Folio Flat File Parsing Buffer Overflows
> > Symantec Mail Security Applix Graphics Parsing Vulnerabilities
>
> 12 mails for the same library?
>
> >From what I have understood all the bugs are just in this Autonomy
> Keyview library so in my opinion reporting the same identical bugs in
> each software which uses this thirdy part component and additionally
> without saying that the problem in reality is in the library is wrong
> and leads to a lot of confusion.
>
> It's just like if someone finds a bug in zlib and releases 10000
> advisories, one for each program in the world which uses the library...
> the bug is not in these 10000 programs but only in zlib.
>

> ---
> Luigi Auriemma
> http://aluigi.org

Content of type "text/html" skipped