Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:02:34 -0400
From: "Garrett M. Groff" <groffg@...design.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Security issue in
	Filezilla3.0.9.2:passwordsare stored in plain text (sitemanager.xml)

Joey,

The topic write-ups for data compression and cryptography (go to that page
in lieu of "encryption") are reasonably good. You can then branch to other
sources for the sake of verification via cross referencing. That should help
to elucidate the substantial difference between encrypting data and
compressing data.

As far as Wikipedia being a scholarly source, I'd say that scholars will
choose many sources, Wikipedia among them. Someone [citation needed!] once
commented about Wikipedia that it has 10 times the information as an
encyclopedia volume but with a 10% reduction in accuracy. Indeed, one would
be wise to cross reference any information gleaned from Wikipedia that is to
be used for anything more substantial than satisfying mere curiosity. But
using Wikipedia as an initial resource doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

Coming back to the topic at hand, I hope that this will wrap up your concern
over the perceived weakness in FileZilla (which, as it turns out, is simply
an innate weakness of using FTP).

- G