Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 11:16:45 -0500
From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Need some help with management

--On Friday, May 23, 2008 11:56:15 -0400 Elazar Broad <elazar@...hmail.com>
wrote:

> Its not even funny how often this happens. I have a friend who does
> some consulting work for small businesses, and the amount of times
> that he has come across medical practices that run their billing
> and record keeping software on the same "fully-loaded" XP box that
> their receptionist(s) use to download random crap...

Typical scenario - professor runs Windows XP with Skpe and Google Toolbar and a
host of other "helpful" desktop applications - oh, but that's his "server" too
- running IIS and mysql - default installs, mind you - replete with cross-site
scripting and sql injection problems - and all his research with no backups -
and then gets irate because his computer gets blocked at the switch port for
policy violations.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Why do they do it?  Because they can - at least until we catch them.

How many mysql installs do you think there are worldwide, listening on the
default port, with "root@...alhost", "root@...N", "@localhost" and "@FQHN" all
in the default state with no password?

--
Paul Schmehl