Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:41:48 +1200
From: Kiwicon Crue <kiwicon@...icon.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Kiwicon CFP 2k8 - Update

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

   _.-..                __   .__        .__
 ,'9 )\)`-.,.--.       |  | _|__|_  _  _|__| ____  ____   ____   2k8
 `-.|           `.     |  |/ /  \ \/ \/ /  |/ ___\/  _ \ /    \
    \,      ,    \)    |    <|  |\     /|  \  \__(  <_> )   |  \
     `.  )._\   (\     |__|_ \__| \/\_/ |__|\___  >____/|___|  /
       |//   `-,//          \/                  \/           \/
       ]||    //"
       ""    ""    BAAAAAAaaaa!!11

[----------------------------------------------------- www.kiwicon.org ---]

Holy sheepshit, internets! Blanket-Man[1] has wrung out his loin cloth
and is
ready to fly-tackle more nerds with large egos and irc handles. Yes,
it's time
to open up your ~/haxing folder and get your talk together for Kiwicon 2k8!
We've put out the black t-shirts, and deflated some satellite radomes,
so where,
as our more criminal yet fetchingly bikini clad cousins might say, the
bloody
hell are you?

The Kiwicon Crüe is proud to announce the call for presenters for the second
installment of New Zealand's very own security conference: Kiwicon 2k8.

[CFP Update]

Despite being a community con, Kiwicon is now pleased if not delighted
to the
point of gratuitous Morris dancing to be able to offer financial support for
travel to a limited number of speakers. More details are available in the
Submission section below.

We've already had a number of great talks submitted, and slots are
filling fast.
Those of you attending cons this year will already be aware of the number of
Kiwis presenting - AusCERT, Shakacon, Syscan, Blackhat, Defcon, Ruxcon - you
should see these guys in their natural habitat. They drop more 0day, wear
tighter pants, and are 30% more likely to coyly flutter their eyelashes
at you.

[About]

Kiwicon2k8 is intended to be an informal conference, drawing on the wider
security community of Australia and New Zealand. It will be held in
Wellington,
New Zealand, on the weekend of the 27th and 28th of September, 2008.

Kiwicon's focus is on sharing information; ideas, code, and good whisky,
in a
rabelaisan carnival of security, nerdery, and *nix beards.

Last year, the inaugural Kiwicon ended up being kind of a big deal:
highlights
included tmasky's mighty Crackstation, the debut of Beau Butler as an
"ethical
hacker" making Microsoft "look like turkeys", and of course the Kiwicon
Hax0r
Quiz, with the winner taking the grand prize of An Illustrated Guide to the
Commoner Skin Diseases. Hope it came in handy for the post-con diagnosis
phase,
dude.

This year, Kiwicon's own Bogan is already making anti-virus vendors quake in
their little signature-laden booties at Defcon's Race to Zero, and the
cauldron
of 0h-0h-0hday in Brett Moore's secret Insomnia lair is bubbling over with
pernicious brew. If you missed last Kiwicon (not "professional enough"?
couldn't
convince your boss it wasn't a hoax?) then find one of the 230+ people
who were
there and ask them if they're just-not-gonna-bother this year.

[Venue]

Our hosts for the weekend will, once again, be Victoria University of
Wellington. If you have any memory of last year's Kiwicon, then it'll look
disturbingly familiar.

The campus has the advantage of being close to the center of the city
and its'
various amenities. This includes cheap accommodation, good coffee, and, more
importantly, several good pubs serving good, non-Australian, beer.

[Costs]

Kiwicon2k8 is a non-profit, non-commercial, non-corporate-funded event.

Attendance for the entire weekend will cost $50 for employed individuals
(self-employed and salaried). There is a discounted rate of $30 for
students and
the unemployed. GST receipts can be issued upon request. If your management
can't be convinced of the value of something that only costs $50, we're
happy to
issue you with some kind of personalised limited edition invitation in
crayon,
glitter pen, and macaroni (spray-painted gold for that luxe look) for
the low
enterprise-only price of $500.

[Topics]

Suggested topics include but are not limited to:

    - Crowd Control Techniques and Panic Modeling
    - Information Warfare / Industrial Espionage
    - Malware (Viruses, Spam, Phishing, Botnets)
    - Cellular Networks (GSM,GPRS,CDMA,3G,4G)
    - Application Security, Testing, Fuzzing
    - Government Spy Networks / Surveillance
    - Nanotechnology / Quantum Computing
    - Access Control and Authentication
    - Wireless / Bluetooth / Infrared
    - Social Engineering / Trolling
    - Breaking EAL Certified Kit
    - Forensics / Antiforensics
    - Banking / ATMs / Carding
    - Exploitation Techniques
    - Layer 1/2/3 Nastiness
    - Reverse Engineering
    - Phreaking / VoIP
    - Virtualisation
    - Web Security
    - Lockpicking
    - Biometrics
    - Hypnosis
    - Crypto
    - Ohday
    - 23

There is no pre-determined talk length but we ask that speakers limit their
presentation to an hour, including some question time.

Kiwicon is a non-profit organisation, so generally funding is not
available for
travel and accommodation. However, we have a limited number of travel
support
packages available:

  1 x NZ$1500 for a speaker from outside Australasia or the South Pacific
  1 x NZ$750  for a speaker from Australia or the South Pacific
  3 x NZ$250  for speakers from New Zealand

These are available only to full length (>45min) speakers paying their
own way.
No speaking-in-a-corporate-capacity, no company logos on the slides and no
industry weaseling. These stipends are for amateurs, crackpots,
ecclesiasticals,
students and other miserable
doss-down-under-the-motorway-bridge-oh-my-goodness-two-cardboard-boxes-just-for-me?
riff-raff. If you look too much like you should be hanging out between
the pages
of Men's Style magazine (and we know who you are), then we reserve the
right to
pick someone a trifle more threadbare. Organiser decision is final, no
correspondence will be corresponded, and Sharrow has to think your existence
does not constitute a putrefying abscess in the nostril of humanity.

If you are a corporate sellout, however, a formal letter will be
provided for
employer leverage. Either way, unless you're a complete jackoff, people
will try
and buy you beer.

To submit a presentation to Kiwicon2k8, send an email to cfp@...icon.org
with
the following information:

Name or Handle: Country of Residence: Employer (if applicable): Presentation
Title: Presentation Length: Presentation Synopsis: Brief Bio: Do Want
Fat Cash:
[Yes/No] ( If yes, pick one of the above support options, and explain
how poor
you are, and why you're worth spending our money on. Be creative. Poetry is
acceptable? )

[CFP Submissions]

Please submit your CFP by email to cfp@...icon.org, no later than 8:47pm
NZST,
Sunday 17th August 2008. There will be two rounds of selection, with the
first
half of the talks chosen in early August, so submit early for a better
chance of
acceptance.

[Contacts & Further Information]

Email us: kiwicon@...icon.org Check the site: http://www.kiwicon.org/
Drop by
silc: silc.isig.org.nz:2706/kiwicon Join the list:
kiwicon-subscribe@...ts.isig.org.nz

Greetz and thanks to all who helped make Kiwicon 2k7 the awesomeness it was,
we'll see you fuckers again this year. Thick, meaty props to Pipes for
stepping
up and making 2k7 happen. We would miss you, but Sharrow's just as tall, and
better looking. Sorry pal.

-- The Kiwicon Crüe, 2k8 - Bogan, Metlstorm & Sharrow. \m/

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hana