Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 00:02:38 -0500
From: "eugaaa@...il.com" <eugaaa@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DNS Cache Dan Kamikaze (Actual Exploit
	Discussion)

My analysis of the problem is now that the exploitation happens when a
recursive server goes looking for a record, and in doing so opens
connections to query each nameserver it finds along the path to the
authoritative namserver.

me -> my_dns(recursive)
my_dns -> root
my_dns -> almost_auth
my_dns -> auth_dns

During this period, an attacker floods the query port (or ports) of
my_dns with a valid response for the domain (this is made possible by
weak transaction ID's in most nameservers and the pseudo-randomness of
the query port) and in doing so manipulates the cache.

There were so many avenues of exploitation for this I actually
overlooked the glaringly obvious one.