Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:25:31 -0500
From: OTB <ownthebox@...herpunx.org>
To: ownthebox@...herpunx.org
Subject: OwnTheBox @ DC16: Pwning for dollars

OwnTheBox, now in year 0x01, continues its hallowed tradition of
creating temporary autonomous zones comprised of random people asking to
be haxored to test their defensive Kung Fu. We're a defender contest, of
sorts, which means the following:

* Contestants bring a server, running some hardened services
* We invite all DefCon attendees to attack these services
* ????
* PROFIT

# NEW YEAR, NEW RULES

This year, we made some changes to the format: Instead of asking
defenders to offer up their hardware to successful attackers, we're
glomming on to the Vegas spirit and making this a contest of cold, hard
cash.

Defenders pay a nominal entry fee, matched by contest organizers, the
Cosa Nostra, and Dan Kaminsky's grandma. The winning entry, based on
services uptime and our patented PwnOMeter(tm), gets the  cash, as a tab
at the Splash bar, on Sunday afternoon.

We're also partnered up with the good folks of OCTF, so entries will be
targets in their event, and given varying point levels in OCTF
throughout con, guaranteeing a dedicated pool of attackers to bring the
love.

# OFFICIAL CALL FOR BOXEN:

If you've followed the DC forums, you know the drill. Services this year
will need to do $SOMETHING. Specifically, our scorebot will be sending
you a Base64, token every five minutes, to check your service is
functioning. We can get the token to you just about any way you like,
though HTTP(s), SMTP, (s)FTP, TFTP, etc, just give us fair warning what
you have in mind.

You'll also receive tokens to install locally for each service, and one
readable by root / admin / sysopr / etc.

Obviously, providing the token to contest organizers = an own. Succesful
attackers get a beer or two.

Beyond that, show up, buy us beer, and come have fun. Mail ownthebox
[at] cipherpunx [dot] org with signups, questions, comments, ridicule,
derision, and pics of your Mom.