Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:57:57 -0400
From: Dave Aitel <dave@...unityinc.com>
To: Brad Spengler <spender@...ecurity.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu,
	dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] Linux's
 unofficial	security-through-coverup policy

I think what Brad and the Pax Team are saying here is that:
1. We hold Linux to a higher standard than a company - we expect the
term "open source" to apply to more than just the source code.
2. For that reason, the community finds it discomforting when kernel
maintainers know that a patch has a serious security ramification and
essentially lie about it by neglecting to put that into the patch
comments. That's the sort of behavior we expect from a large commercial
entity.
3. This only hurts end users, because the hackers already know about it.

If the kernel maintainers had read the Microsoft team's SDL book, they'd
probably be more up to speed on these things. :>

- -dave