Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:29:13 -0400
From: Mary and Glenn Everhart <Everhart@....com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re DNS spoofing issue discussion

To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] DNS spoofing issue. Thoughts on

I chose my wording to cover not only DNSSEC but possible alternatives
that could be devised. Certs are not the only way to do it, but it
needs to be installed all over.

The BGP fixes were devised after the last meltdown, but question again
is whether they are installed. If DNSSEC had been installed, Kaminsky's
issue
would not exist.

Since the number of sites running BGP among themselves is not that huge,
it is probably not as practical an attack vector. Last meltdown that
happened was said to be solved largely because most of the BGP site
operators
knew each other well enough to recognize voices on the phone. Net's bigger
now tho.

The fact that the recent youtube route hijack and the kenya routing
insecurity
incidents happened suggests that the md5 security is not in fact in
place much
(needs predefined secrets installed and apparently people don't configure it
to do anything). That being the case, a reminder that maybe it could be
good to
reexamine this seems not totally daft.

Glenn Everhart
Everhart@....com

(posting from home; I am the same one who has posted from work also.)