Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:30:38 +0530
From: Pallav Khandhar <pallav.khandhar@...il.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, security-basics@...urityfocus.com,
	pen-test@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	vuln-dev@...urityfocus.com, binaryanalysis@...urityfocus.com,
	honeypots@...urityfocus.com, packet@...ketstormsecurity.org,
	bugs@...uritytracker.com, news@...uriteam.com, focus-ms@...urityfocus.com,
	secprog@...urityfocus.com, forensics@...urityfocus.com,
	dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com
Subject: Tool Release: ProcL - Detect Hidden Process

Greetings,

I am glad to release ProcL v1.0.  ProcL employs many different methods
to detect hidden processes. Essentially, ProcL detailed and
implemented a mechanism to embed all these different approaches in one
tool to detect hidden processes. Our methods of detecting hidden
processes requires the examination of each kernel object - EPROCESS,
ETHREADS, HANDLES, JOBS. Therefore, we believe, ProcL would defeat
process concealment from one certain method.

Hiding a process is particularly threatening because it represents
some malicious code running on your system that you are completely
unaware of. Process hiding has a significant effect. Many of the
trojan, virus, spyware, rootkit writers use similar techniques to hide
themselves and stay undetected as long as possible on target machines.
Finding all the ways a rootkit might hide a process is just the first
step in defending against the rootkits. Detecting hidden objects is a
promising new area in rootkit detection.

For more information on the tool
http://www.scanit.net/rd/tools/03

Download the tool
http://www.scanit.net/files/tools/ProcL.zip