Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:14:53 -0700
From: "InfoSec DramaReport" <infosecdramareport@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Kaminsky Quittinq? Coffee Shop Inevitable?

8/6/2008
An Information Security Drama Report Exclusive

It was BlackHat Vegas 2008 at the Prestigious Pwnie Awards and
tensions were running high. The audience had been waiting in
anticipation for the announcement of the winner of the "Most Overhyped
Bug" category. Nominees included pagvac's "BT Home Hub authentication
bypass", Symantec's "Adobe Flash Player non-0day remote code
execution", and Dan Kaminsky's "Unspecified DNS cache poisoning
vulnerability".

However, while the competition was fierce, there was one obvious crowd
favorite as the presenters pointed out by saying, "sixty percent of
the nominations in this category were for Dan Kaminsky's Bug". After a
light hearted description of the nominated bugs and an impromptu drum
roll the winner was announced... "Dan Kaminsky!". The crowd applauded.

Somewhat to the surprise of the audience, Dan approached the podium,
accepted the award, and for his speech he was paraphrased as saying,
"There are the kind people who fix bugs and there are the kind of
people who find bugs. I'm glad to be both." Dan then proceeded to slam
the microphone down on the podium before going briefly back to his
seat after which, as one attendee put it, "[Dan] strode out of the
room with his head held up high, Pawnie in hand, and a smirk on his
face". Dan's wife followed closely behind with their bags.

Further eye witness reports say that Dan Kaminsky was seen immediately
after the awards ceremony repeating the following phrase several
times, "I'm done I'm just done" to his wife who appeared to be
consoling him in the wake of his acceptance speech.

Here at ISDR we can only speculate that this means the inevitable loss
of yet another valued Information Security professional to the honest
ranks of coffee shop or bar owners. Our editors and staff would like
to let Dan Kaminsky know that he will be missed and if this year is
any portent, a nominee and winner for a Pawnie Lifetime Achievement
Award in 2009. Good luck and and God speed everyone in their
unspecified DNS cache poisoning attacks.