Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:10:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: [funsec] Estonia similarities begin to manifest
	(fwd)

It seems like the online Russian population is getting mobilized. Like a
meme spreading on the blogosphere, the mob is forming and starting to
"riot", attacking Georgia.

This seems very similar to the Estonian incident, only my current guess is
natural evolution rather than grass-roots implanted--but I am getting more
and more convinced of the similarities as more information becomes
available. Determining exactly when the use of scripts by regular users
started, is key to this determination.

So, this may possibly be in copy-cat fashion, filling in for the missing
coordination that existed in Estonia's case, or a duplicate after all. It
is still too early to come to conclusions.

This information was recieved from Shadowserver, which posted a reduced
public report on this subject on their wiki:
http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Calendar.20080813

Great work from Shadowserver!

My Colleague Randy Vaughn, came up with the following theory, which is
contradictory to my own:
"I would say more like the result of past training.  That is, the
.ee attacks served to set a behavioral response that will
automatically trigger during any real or perceived conflict."

  	Gadi.