Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:54:08 +0000
From: "Elazar Broad" <elazar@...hmail.com>
To: simon@...soft.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: To disclose or not to disclose

Simon,
 If the issue really involves critical infrastructure you can
expect(to an extent) many government and quasi-government
organizations to step in  and pressure the vendor to fix the issue
before you go public. A real world example. At a recent conference,
I was talking to a security executive of a rather large utility and
the recently disclosed Citec issue came up. He mentioned that he
was at a certain government organizations lab while they were
assessing the issue based on the information they received from
CORE. If you read CORE's disclosure timeline, the real fire hadn't
been lit until this organization, along with some others, stepped
in and really got under the vendor's skin. He also mentioned how
clueless Citec's initial response was, but thats another story.
Given the general awareness of these organizations of the fact that
critical infrastructure vulnerabilities = potentially major
problems, I think setting a deadline(which will probably be
extended at the behest of these organizations) for the vendor is
not a bad idea, and the chances of the issue getting fixed before
you spill the beans are pretty high. You can't forget the
"somewhat" obvious as well, if you found it, someone else can find
it too. As far as the vendor is concerned, well, we all know what
happened to a certain electronic voting machine vendor...Look, I'm
not expert, this is just my .02...

elazar

--
Hotel pics, info and virtual tours.  Click here to book a hotel online.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4eRClAkcJxO5raG2q61I2CHdEok8REye7AsAlE6A964lyJ9u/