Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:36:29 -0500
From: "Miller Grey" <vigilantgregorius@...il.com>
To: "nzerozero p" <nzerozerop@...il.com>
Cc: n3td3v@...glegroups.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	info@...egary.org.uk
Subject: Re: [inbox] Re: Supporters urge halt to, hacker's,
	extradition to US

I couldn't agree more.  The man committed a crime, in either country.  He
should be held accountable.  I've also seen plenty of people claim the law
was changed to prosecute him, that's simply not true either.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/brits-us-passed.html

Enough with the 60 years, he'll get 4 years tops.
I feel sorry for the guy, and I think the military probably did roll some
heads after the breach.  But to say that military admins should be held
criminally responsible is ludicrous (but maybe not entirely...save for
another discussion).  Stupid?  yes.  Discharged?  for sure...and it's pretty
apparent they should find another career field.

Can we put this to rest already.
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 7:55 AM, nzerozero p <nzerozerop@...il.com> wrote:

> I don't agree.
>
>  On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM, n3td3v <xploitable@...il.com> wrote:
>

>> nobody could be so stupid to leave their car door unlocked, ::blush::
>

> Bullshit.  Walk throughout a parking lot and try a couple door handles,
> you'd most likely find more than you thought.
>

>> the u.s military did, then gary mckinnon left a note on their wind
>> screen wiper to say, look guys, you left your door unlocked, maybe you
>> should fix it.
>

> No, Gary McKinnon broke into machines and changed files.  Thusly, each
> machine has to be rebuilt as per gov't policy.  Thousands of computers.  How
> many man hours and cost did this require?  That's the cost here.  It doesn't
> matter what he did, it matters that he did it.
>

>> the u.s military come back to the car, and claim the inside of the car
>> has been damaged, but no proof it was gary mckinnon who did it, when
>> their were plenty other people who could have walked past the same car
>> and done something to it.
>

> There is plenty of proof that Mr. McKinnon did it.  All packets are
> traceable.  Especially if you are doing it all from one IP, and that one IP
> is your house.
>

>> the u.s decide they can't prove it was gary mckinnon who did the
>> damage, because all they've got is the note on the wind screen wiper
>> saying, you left your door unlocked, maybe you should fix it.
>

> In my opinion, it seems you know nothing about the facts surrounding this
> case, and you should get your facts straight first.
>

>> next we know, the kid is being extradited to the u.s on charges of
>> carrying out the biggest car crime of all time, and they change the
>> law to say, actually we don't need proof you caused the damage or that
>> any damage existed, we're blaming you anyway.
>>
>> by the way, we're giving you 60 years and you're never going to see
>> your friends and family ever again.
>

> As others have pointed out and you have blanketly ignored, 60 years is the
> maximum punishable by law.  There is absolutely no indication that he will
> get 60 years.  He most likely will get a fine equal to the amount of $$ in
> damage he caused, along with 4 years of jail time.

Content of type "text/html" skipped