Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:06:06 +0100
From: Jost Krieger <Jost.Krieger+f-d@....de>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: 21 Million German bank accounts stolen

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 04:11:48PM +0200, James Matthews wrote:
> German banks are some of the oldest in the world. This is pretty scary
> however it is also the reality of germanys new laws... I hope they find it
> soon and protect the people that need to be protected
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/12/09/0125201.shtml

What Slashdot doesn't say:

What was disclosed were 1.2 million account numbers plus additional
information, but not means of access. This is bad enough of course.

The 21 million were claimed to be available by the perps, which is
believable, as they tried to sell them to a newspaper.

The trail seems to lead to small call centers, where someone collects
these data and sells them on the side. The banks seem not to be
involved at all.

If you find this all weird, payments in Germany work totally different
from the US. Noone uses checks for private payments, either you use
money transfer or you have the money directly pulled from your account
(and you can call it back for at least 6 weeks). So a lot of people know
your account number.

Jost
--
| Helft Spam ausrotten!                HTML in Mail ist unhöflich. |
| Postmaster, JAPH, manchmal Wahrsager               am RZ der RUB |

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2071 bytes)