Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:19:27 +0200
From: Siim Põder <windo@...rad-teel.net>
To: n3td3v <xploitable@...il.com>,
	FULLDISCLOSURE <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Call for Papers: Cyber Warfare

Hi

n3td3v wrote:
> How can you have a security conference on "cyber warfare" when it
> doesn't exist and has never taken place.

I have heard Kenneth and some of the folks in the organizing
organization (the excellence center) talk and I wouldn't expect much
from it (but something certanly). They most likely use the term "cyber
warfare" to describe large-scale (as in - more than one) coordinated
cyber attacks for some kind of political cause, preferably involving
some countries official institutions.

As the term "cyber warfare" isn't well defined, it is kind of naive to
say it doesn't exist or has never taken place as that statement really
wouldn't mean anything specific (hence, wouldnt't mean anything at all
for all practical purposes).

The reality is, that political forces are seemingly using cyber attacks
to gain their ends (on purpose or by supporting individuals). Wether to
call it warfare or something else is a matter of taste. Do you have any
other ideas what to call it? Keeping in mind the "large-scale",
"coordinated" and "government involvement" bits?

They are worried about stuff we usually don't worry about. Like, what if
someone shuts down the ATMs and online banking  of all the local banks
in a big enough region, beyond repair for a few weeks? There is little
commercial interest for anyone to do it (hackers, maffia, college
students and the other usual suspects), but in the case of "cyber
warfare" (as they would call it) it's just an attack on the
infrastructure and may really annoy the people living there (and
possibly force them to act against the laws). Especially so, if other
attacks also take place at the same time.

Understandably, nothing as bad as that has happened yet, but there is a
slight tendency towards this kind of thing (being vague here), making it
worthy of attention of the people interested in such things (vague
again). I can't really blame them for calling it with a sexy name to be
able to request funding for it.

Siim