Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:15:12 +1100
From: "Dexter, Ben" <Ben.Dexter@....gov.au>
To: "Razi Shaban" <razishaban@...il.com>,
	"Full Disclosure" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	"Dave Kleiman" <dave@...ekleiman.com>
Subject: Re: Seagate 7200.11 Drives attempted scam

Hi guys.

Dave is a member of a forensics list I am on and asked me to post this
response on his behalf (he is not a full disclosure list member). You
can email him at dave@...ekleiman.com if you need to discuss further.

Ben.

---------Begin message from Dave Kleiman----------

Razi,

You researching skills are astonishing.....maybe NOT!

       >>>seagate.custkb.com != seagate.com<<<

Really, what was your verification process?

       >>>Seagate's knowledge base can be found at
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/ <<<

No that is where the link to Seagate's knowledge base is.

Did you bother to check the link, of course not?  It leads here:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?NewLang=en

Did you bother to call their support number, of course not?
1-800-SEAGATE (1 800 732-4283), you would have heard all about the
issue.

       >>>Do you have any actual evidence to back up these wild claims?
Besides the inquirer, of course (the source for the electronista
article) and the _fake_ knowledgebase website<<

Yes I do...the actual source of the article, the Seagate forum from the
16th of Jan. ""Seagate Community Forums: Internal Hard Drives : Internal
(ATA and Serial ATA) drives : ANNOUNCEMENT: Firmware Issues""
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=ata_drives  just click on
the ""ANNOUNCEMENT: Firmware Issues"" it is right at the top.

And, the knowledge base is real, but from someone with what appears to
be your erudition and what would seem to be your knee-jerk reaction, you
may not possess the skill set to figure that out.

Stick to whatever it is you do well, whatever that is, but it seems to
be obvious that it is probably not any type of information research.

Respectfully,

Dave Kleiman - http://www.ComputerForensicExaminer.com

---------End message from Dave Kleiman----------