Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:06:22 -0700
From: Josh Dukes <josh.dukes@...rovu.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: List of Fuzzers

Mr. Mustache,
As an emacs user I naturally have a very large beard, and as such am
inclined to disagree with you slightly. Though I recognize and respect
your facial hair, I do believe that the development of fuzzing
frameworks is a valid pursuit. The use of frameworks developed by
oneself, or one's security group would be a perfectly valid use.
Likewise modification and use of another person's framework I would see
as valid (and potentially fun). I would even suggest that it *might* be
valid to use someone else's fuzzing framework against one's own
applications to verify one's work, or to even generally fuzz in a
non-serious way. But I would generally agree that use of someone else's
fuzzing framework, without any modification or deep understanding of
how it work, for serious research, would be a clear misuse of fuzzing
technology in a generally script-kiddish fashion.

That said, I see "Which fuzzer on this list will help me find the most
security exploits?" as a similar statement to "Dear leet h4x0rz, plz
hlp m3 h4x0r t0nz o' stuffs. thx!"

So, Bobby, I don't wish to be rude, but please ask questions that add
more value to the conversation. That is to say, research first and ask
questions when you've exhausted your own resources. You will gain more
knowledge and irritate less people.

done.

Josh Dukes
MicroVu IT Department