Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:53:02 -0400
From: "Elazar Broad" <elazar@...hmail.com>
To: acastigliola@...m.com, tbiehn@...il.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: BBC cybercrime probe backfires

I am inclined to agree, except that you still have issues with the
electronic equivalent of breaking and entering. Case in point,
there is a good chance you would be arrested and prosecuted if you
opened the door to another persons dwelling which did not have a
lock installed, and installed a lock and left him/her the key,
simply because you entered their property without permission. From
a ethics perspective, most people would judge you a good Samaritan,
you helped someone else protect their property, however the law
doesn't see it that way, primarily because of the fact that, if you
don't have permission to be there, chances are you are not wanted
there, no matter what your intentions may be.

As far as hijacking bot nets, one who steals from a thief may be a
thief, but one who stops one in the act is a hero. Bot nets are
always "in the act"...

--
Easy-to-use, advanced features, flexible phone systems.  Click here for more info.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqmC5s2cecqKfSSclHfpTNNeiKm5PudF1bmQuvHeBlZWDiL7es1xba/