Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:14:00 -0400
From: "J. Oquendo" <sil@...iltrated.net>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	J Michael Graham <jmgraham@...il.com>
Subject: Re: can someone please try and explain to me....

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 13:06:58 EDT, J Michael Graham said:
>
>> Man, I LOVE sayin it. I say it all the time. Boss comes in talking
>> about budget cuts, I just stand up shouting "CYBERWAR!!" and he backs
>> out the doorway. Mission accomplished.
>>

> I find completing sentences with "As prophesied in ancient scripture" does
> that to bosses too.
>
> The problem is that most of what we've seen has been more properly described
> as 'cyber-espionage' or 'cyber-border-skirmish'.  But most journalist's eyes
> glaze over if there's more than 7-8 letters in the word, so we're stuck with
> them using 'cyberwar'.

I personally find that it's more appealing and spookier to say
"cyberwar" if you want to pass through - I don't know - your agenda,
your budget. Nothing says "We're underfunded" from contractors more than
"cyberwar". Remember, many quotes come from many-a-DoD-contractor. Keep
that in mind, when the sayings slash quotes shift from "Korea is
e-nuking us" to "we can neither confirm nor deny" or "we simply don't
know" you have to look at who's talking:

"In the dozens of instances that I worked over the past decade, I cannot
recall a single instance in which someone intending to attack came from
the source it appeared to have come from," said Dale W. Meyerrose,
former chief information officer for the Office of the Director of
National Intelligence. "Most attackers in cyberspace try to mask who
they really are." (NY Times)

“The code is really pretty elementary in many respects,” he added. “I’m
doubting that the author is a computer science graduate student.” Jose
Nazarrio

I put my money on Arbor's view. Remember, earlier this year according to
media and government, China was all the rage. Budgets were passed and
ironically all the Chinese hackers in the world retired. Think about
that for a minute or two. It could make a good episode of "Where are
they now?" In the interim, politics will be what politricks will be:

dod-contractor:~# nemesis-icmp -S 202.130.245.42 -D 127.0.0.1 -i 4 &&
echo "China's cyberattacking us! We're simply underfunded" |mail -s
"Cyberwarefare" Siobhan.Gorman at wsj.com

--

J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E