Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:54:40 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: phish war game

Hi all!

Greets from the deep dark recesses of the internet.  Now, back to
this incredibly difficult and intractable problem of phishing.

X-Force have apparently put out some kind of press release announcing
a large drop in phishing volumes.  http://www.independent.co.uk/life-
style/gadgets-and-tech/news/phishing-dries-up--are-scammers-changing-
their-game-1777899.html

If I may just repeat what I said a year ago...

> In reality, RED will terminate the game voluntarily when phish revenue per
> hour falls below revenues per hour available from other sources.

Of course, I can't claim that wide-scale filtering, which is what I
was advocating last year, did the trick, as there was none.  Instead,
I'll claim that RED discovered for themselves that Average Revenue
Per Mail was too low to be attractive, relative to other sources.

Continuing in this line of reasoning, what will happen next, is that
RED will concentrate resources on more profitable revenue streams,
and consequently, de-skill and de-tool on the less profitable streams
such as phishing.  Later, if they try to go back to phishing, they
will find they need new techniques and also, a new version of their
generator software, neither of which will be easy to come by.

So I'm going to call it and say this ship is leaving, and it's not
comin' back.  There was only ever going to be a small window of
opportunity for RED to attack, before BLUE and GREEN wised up, and it
seems that window is now closing.

Thank you for playing, insert 20p to continue.

Stu