Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:40:28 -0500
From: Rohit Patnaik <quanticle@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: windows future

To be fair, Linux has come a very long way in that regard. I purchased
an Asus Eee 900 with Linux preinstalled, and everything worked right out
of the box. Flash, Java, OpenOffice, the works. It was a vindication of
my view that the real obstacle to Linux on the desktop isn't the user,
but rather the OEM.

With low-cost, low-power netbooks becoming more prevalent, OEMs are
finding that the cost of the Windows license begins to take up a rather
high percentage of the overall cost.  Therefore, many are preinstalling
and preconfiguring Linux. At the same time, consumers are finding that
application incompatibilities don't really matter for them, since the
Linux equivalents are able to handle data coming from a Windows box with
a minimum of fuss.

--Rohit Patnaik