Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:32:45 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: windows future

Thanks for the comments, indeed, the exponential issue arises due to
use the of blacklisting by current AV technologies, and a switch to
whitelisting could theoretically mitigate that, however, I'm not sure
that would work in practice, there are so many little bits of code
that execute, right down to tiny javascripts that check you've filled
in an online form correctly, and the user might be bombarded with
prompts.  Falling back on tweaks to user privileges and UAC prompts
is hardly fixing the problem.  The core problem is the platform is
inherently insecure, due to its development, licensing and marketing
models, and nothing is going to fix that.  Even if fixing it became
somehow possible, the same effort could be spent improving a
competing system, rather than fixing a broken one.

Just to complete the extrapolation, the below.

Assuming that mutation rates continue to increase exponentially,
infection rates will reach a maximum when the average computer
reaches 100% utilisation due to malware filtering.  Infection rates
will then decline as vulnerable hosts "die off" due to their
inability to filter.  These hosts will either be replaced with new,
more powerful Windows machines (before these themselves surcumb to
the exponential curve), OR, they will be re-deployed, running a
different, non-Windows platform.

Eventually, the majority of computer owners will get the idea that
they don't need to buy ever-more powerful gear, just to do the same
job they did yesterday (there may come a time when the fastest
machine available is unable to cope, there is every possibility that
mutation rates will exceed Moore's Law).  The number of vulnerable
hosts will then fall sharply, as the platform is abandoned en-masse.

At this time, crackers who have been depending upon a certain amount
of cracks per week for income, will find themselves short.  They will
then, if they have not already, refocus their activities on more
profitable revenue streams.

If every computer is running a diverse ecosystem, crackers will have
no choice but to resort to small-scale, targetted attacks, and the
days of mass-market malware will be over, just as the days of the
mass-market platform it depends on, will also be over.

And then, crackers will need to be very good crackers, to generate
enough income from their small-scale attacks.  If they aren't very
good, they might find it easier and more profitable to get a 9-to-5
job.  The number of malware authors will then fall sharply.

The world will awaken from the 20+ year nightmare that was Windows,
made possible only by manipulative market practices, driven by greed,
and discover the only reason it was wracked with malware, was because
it had all its eggs in one basket.

Certainly, vulnerabilities will persist, and skilled cracking groups
may well find new niches from which to operate.  But diversifying the
ecosystem raises the barrier to entry, to a level most garden-variety
crackers will find unprofitable, and that will be all that is
required, to encourage most of them to do something else with their
lives, and significantly reduce the incidence of cybercrime.

(now I phrase it like that, it might be said, that by buying
Microsoft, you are indirectly channelling money to organised crime
gangs, who most likely engage in other kinds of criminal activity, in
addition to cracking, such as identity theft, money laundering, and
smuggling. That is, when you buy Microsoft, you are propping up the
monoculture, and that monoculture feeds criminals, by way of its
inherent flaws.  Therefore, if you would like to reduce criminal
activity, don't buy Microsoft.)

-EOF