Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 18:59:49 +0100
From: Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey@...ro.ac.uk>
To: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists@...ragard.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Nipper licensing

Hi,
> You going to share that perl code so that we can help you make it even
> better?

I believe in Open Source - GPL or BSD - and the best way to make
a better place is to release code and allow as many skilled people
to work on it as possible. the internet would be dead without
such philosophy.

I can understand the authors private reasons for the change in Nipper
but the pros/cons of GPL were surely known from the early days?

not sure how making it 100% commercial will help - the old version
is out there and is useful (with some niggles)..i expect some
person will fork it.. call it 'slipper' or somesuch. A better route
would be the 'make a commercial version' with more features,
support, etc.

regarding OS - unlss i work on it privately and start from scratch
then my paymasters need to agree on IP/copyright :-|

alan