Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 01:18:19 -0700
From: "Jeremi Gosney" <Jeremi.Gosney@...ricity.com>
To: "Lucus Rife" <lucus.rife@...glemail.com>,
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Executing Code on Linux/x86 with
	ASLR+GCC4Protections

are you positive you have a kernel patched for aslr on this host? debian and ubuntu do not ship with aslr. you will have to manually patch your kernel with something like PaX to gain that functionality.

it doesn't really matter. from your question I can tell you do not yet fully understand the mechanics of a buffer overflow. the goal is to gain control a function's return address by overwriting eip. you've already overwritten the registers you are asking if you can overwrite; if you bother to look at your gdb output, you'll see that you've of course already written 'BABA' to esi and eax. so I guess to directly answer your question... no.

what you're seeing below is the effect of compile-time stack protection, not aslr. how do I know? because eip never changed. with aslr, you will likely be able to overwrite eip, but you will not know the address to return to in order to execute the stack since the stack is randomized at runtime. the compile-time stack protection method used (StackGuard, ProPolice, StackShield, etc) will determine which method you will use to defeat it, as each take separate approaches to protecting eip. there are ways to defeat each of the various stack protection methods, but the below program is likely too simple to exploit since we don't have a pointer we can manipulate. they are more useful against real-world examples.

you should probably read this first:
http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=49&id=14#article

further reading:
http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=56&id=5#article