Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 11:20:31 -0600
From: Rohit Patnaik <quanticle@...il.com>
To: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: How Prosecutors Wiretap Wall Street

The direction of the association doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the
"terrorist" is contacting me, or if I'm contacting the terrorist.  In either
case, the US government should get a warrant before they spy on me.  Also,
this executive opinion doesn't just apply to the CIA and the NSA.  It
applies to the entire executive branch, including law enforcement.

Secondly, we seem to have a general disagreement about the intent of the
laws regulating the intelligence and law enforcement apparatus of the
state.  My opinion is that the restrictions placed on these agencies were
intentional.  They were created by a Congress that was disgusted by the
rampant abuse of executive power that occurred during the Nixon
administration.  They were strengthened when Reagan found loopholes in those
restrictions.  As such, I don't think its Constitutionally valid for the
President to unilaterally ignore those restrictions.  Yes, I'm aware of the
use of force resolution that was passed shortly following the Sept. 11th
attack.  However, I don't think the language contained therein represented a
rollback of over 30 years of legislative history.  If it is really necessary
for the intelligence agencies to have these unprecedented powers, then they
shouldn't be hesitant in presenting their case before Congress.

--Rohit Patnaik

Content of type "text/html" skipped