Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 06:30:06 -0500
From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry@...ryseltzer.com>
To: "Rohit Patnaik" <quanticle@...il.com>,
	"Michal" <michal@...ic.co.uk>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: win7x64 Direct General

>> Well, given that the accent in the American South derives from the
Essex accent, its not surprising.

Does it?!? I've always wondered, Back to that in a moment.

My original remark was meant to imply that the posting to which I was
referring was incoherent, but sounded vaguely critical.

<thread drift>

Back to the important stuff, I've always been curious about the origins
of American accents. I imagine it's a tough thing to research. I am
aware from historical reading that the colonists considered themselves
Englishmen and perhaps they would want to speak like Englishman, and yet
several distinct accents developed.

In the recent HBO documentary John Adams, only Adams himself has a clear
Boston accent. Everyone else has a sort of lite Scottish accent. There
is not a trace of southern in the southerners, which I think has to be a
mistake. Surely it would be perceivable by then, as a distinct southern
culture had already emerged.

</thread drift>

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine