Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:22:15 +1100
From: "Craig S. Wright" <craig.wright@...ormation-Defense.com>
To: "'Thor \(Hammer of God\)'" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
Cc: pen-test@...urityfocus.com, advisory-board-open@...ts.sans.org,
	'Jeff Frisk' <jfrisk@...c.org>,
	'full-disclosure' <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	security-basics@...urityfocus.com, stephen@...s.edu,
	'Ben Wright' <ben.wright@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: SMS Banking

Hi Again Thor/Tim and now others,
I have added a few people to this email. As a summary to those joining,
"Thor" (really Tim) has the notion that you cannot quantitatively measure
information system risk and thinks Bayesian statistics, computational chaos
and heteroscedastics (my fields) cannot measure risk.

>>From the "discussion" that has ensued, Tim and I have ended in a gamble
where I shall be using the my skills in math and those of both practical
experience and importantly all I have learnt from SANS over the many years
against anything he wishes to being to the table.

There is some information included below, but as a summary, myself and
another party will measure the risk of software and systems. This will be
100 software products and 50 systems to be independently deployed.

Code vulnerabilities is but a single risk measure (see below for where this
fits). My Question to Tim is are you implying that you cannot do this?
Knowing the likelihood of code vulnerabilities and the rate comes to
patching and hence implementation issues. I am stating that I can model
this. I will put my reputation etc on the line (as well as a large quantity
of cash) on the assertion that I can model the risk of software within a set
confidence bound given the a prior information on the product, user base and
such other information against a qualitative determination.

I have stated an independent third party will configure systems. Neither Tim
nor I will set the systems up. This will be done correctly without bias. I
have added Stephen to this discussion as I will be proposing an exercise for
SANS Students. I will elaborate this later. The basic gist is that SANS
conference attendees and students generally could be involved. The idea is
that neither party to the test will have an insight or knowledge that
exceeds the others from any unfair means.

I will up the bet to the 100k amount if this is Tim's desire. We will set
this as an escrow. That is, an independent party (merchant bank) will hold
the money. We each pay in advance. The money will be held earning interest
until this exercise is complete. Ben is included in this email as he is one
of the most IT savvy and security knowledgably attorneys around. He is NOT
my attorney, but he knows more than enough to (for valid consideration that
I will fund) set the escrow conditions.

Tim states below, "they will be 100% vulnerable to immediate “exploitation"
My question to him is are you stating that the systems will be 100%
vulnerable? Is this your response or would you like to actually test the
system?

I will give Tim an out or at least an advantage if he wishes. I will still
do all I have stated, but I will also give him an additional option. This
is, I will configure a server running a BI (Business Intelligence)
application and Database accessed over the web with an SSH server for admin
access and management. If either I fail to predict risk within a 95%
confidence interval OR you breach this system in the time period (a whole 6
months), I lose the bet.

As stated, the money will be escrowed. Once started, we each put our money
where our mouth is so to speak. If you EITHER predict correctly OR
compromise a single system - you (Thor/Tim) win. Otherwise - Tim has to
admit error.

This has escalated to a US$ 100,000 bet. The contract will be formalised,
but this is an offer (in fact, the other offers are also accepted at lower
values, but we each have too much testosterone).

There are two components;

1	A selection of software products are tested using both processes,
that is I use a model for the risk of these products, and “Thor” can make up
whatever guesses he wishes. We model (or “Thor” guesses, pulls from a
hat...) the vulnerabilities over a time period. The number of bugs in
software as well as the risk are to be presented as a monthly estimate.

2	We model a few systems (say 50). We can use Honeypots (real systems
set to log all activity without interference) run by an independent party to
each of us. I use probabilistic models to calculate the risk. “Thor” does
whatever he wants to test these, audit them etc and predict risk. These
systems are to be logged and all the data recorded. The full rules and
restrictions, setup processes etc will be incorporated into the contract.

I put my knowledge from Bayesian Statistics, Computational Chaos, financial
modelling and heteroscedastics that is coupled with around 30 SANS
courses/certifications and all the other bits against Tim's arsenal.

Part 1
Tim has to select 100 commonly deployed software products. I will not
intervene, but I will have these challenged if they are NOT commonly
deployed. Hence CC'ing the SANS Advisory Board. I propose these individuals
as the people who can veto a choice if the software is obscure.

I shall be listing these in the contract that we will each sign as a deed.

Regards,
Dr. Craig S Wright GSE-Malware, GSE-Compliance, LLM, & ...
Information Defense Pty Ltd