Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:54:00 +0200
From: Jan Lehnardt <jan@...che.org>
To: dev@...chdb.apache.org
Cc: user@...chdb.apache.org, security@...chdb.apache.org,
	Jason Davies <jasondavies@...che.org>,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	security@...che.org
Subject: [SECURITY] CVE-2008-2370: Apache CouchDB Timing
	Attack Vulnerability

My sincere apologies, I mixed up the CVE number. Here is the update report.

Cheers
Jan
--

CVE-2010-0009: Apache CouchDB Timing Attack Vulnerability

Severity: Important

Vendor:
The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Apache CouchDB 0.8.0 to 0.10.1

Apache CouchDB versions prior to version 0.11.0 are vulnerable to
timing attacks, also known as side-channel information leakage,
due to using simple break-on-inequality string comparisons when
verifying hashes and passwords.

Mitigation:
All users should upgrade to CouchDB 0.11.0. Upgrades from the 0.10.x
series should be seamless. Users on earlier versions should consult

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes

Example:
A canonical description of the attack can be found in

http://codahale.com/a-lesson-in-timing-attacks/

Credit:
This issue was discovered by Jason Davies of the Apache CouchDB
development team.