Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:47:06 -0700
From: J Roger <securityhocus@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

The entire compliance industry has design flaws which cause results to be
skewed such that the intended value is lost.

CompanyA hires a PCI auditor for their annual PCI audit. It is in the
auditors best interest to make sure CompanyA has a pleasant enough
experience with them through the audit up to and including the reported
findings otherwise CompanyA will just select a different auditor for the
following year that will be kinder to them for the same reasons.

If an auditor fails to pass CompanyA, they stand a very good chance to lose
a customer. Not only that but word of mouth could hurt their potential to
gain new customers. Naturally, auditors like everyone else want to make
money. As such, auditors want to keep existing customers and gain new
customers.

Keep in  mind that all of the large PCI breaches reported publicly over the
past couple years have been for companies that have passed their annual PCI
audits.

1) The bar for PCI compliance is fairly low
2) The cost to go through an annual PCI audit can be fairly high (which
unfortunately gives executives signing the checks the false impression that
there is much security value from the process and not just the ability to
continue processing payment cards)
3) The auditors required for large companies annual PCI audits have
conflicting interests between the intent of PCI compliance and making money

The recipe results in organizations paying lots of money to continue making
more money for themselves while the real information assets go ignored and
the PCI relevant findings are either swept under the carpet or downplayed
such that they are no real issue.

Content of type "text/html" skipped