Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:44:35 -0700
From: Mike Hale <eyeronic.design@...il.com>
To: "Ivan ." <ivanhec@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	security-basics@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

I actually disagree with the conclusions presented by this paper.  I'm
in the process of writing up a more thorough explanation, but my main
issue lies with their key finding on compliance spending.

According to the paper, roughly 40% is spend on directly securing
secrets, and another 40% is spent on compliance of some type.  They
further suggest that half of this compliance spending is spent on
internal compliance, and half on regulatory/external compliance.

Internal security policies are designed to protect the network and the
companys data.  Therefore, reason would dictate that spending on
internal compliance is money spent on securing your secrets (a
fraction of that spending, anyway).  Is it unreasonable to assume that
half of money spent on compliance with internal policies postively
affects security of your data?

I find the findings completely flawed.  Am I missing something?

--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0