Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 20:33:02 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: denial-of-service vulnerability in the
	Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Just to followup on this, what worries me is that as time passes,
more and more viruses will attack more and more files and/or registry
keys, resulting in more and more destruction by MRT, and I will need
to spend more and more time on it, finding solutions to increasingly
obscure problems, for which there is no documentation anywhere,
except that generated by forums such as this, fixing things that are
clearly marked "no user serviceable parts inside" (if the permissions
on the registry keys are to be a guide).

Something is clearly wrong when a BSOD is actually part of the repair
process, indicating progress in this case, when I need to subvert WFP
and other inbuilt security systems to effect the fix, and when a
cleanup tool from the vendor, which is pushed onto all machines and
run automatically, makes a problem worse.

The thing that annoys me, is that it's now up to me to either hand my
customer a large bill, which will compensate me fairly for my time
but is likely to exceed the cost of a new machine, OR I can take pity
on him (it's not his fault his machine was infected or subsequently
trashed by a repair tool) - and this means I need to discount my
time, so I end up taking the hit.

But it's not my fault either, it's Microsoft's software that has the
holes in it, and it's Microsoft's tool that trashed it after those
holes were exploited.  But do you think I will get paid if I invoice
Microsoft?

So basically someone needs to pay, and it ain't Bill, and if I want
to keep my customer happy, it ain't my customer either.  That means I
end up spending my life working for a pittance, cleaning up
Microsoft's mess and at the same time, trying to explain to my
customer that while the Windows packaging and advertising is all so
slick, it's actually the biggest white elephant in the known
universe, and they should consider migrating to unix, and I know you
just spent a truckload on some lame-assed .NET dependency, I have
some very bad news for you, and no, you can't fix it by getting a new
IT guy, although you won't find that out until you try it, and I know
it might be easier for you to buy some more sales pitch from the next
IT guy, and drink the Microsoft Kool-Aid, than to believe me when I
say that most the world's desktops are running a giant white
elephant, so I am definitely going to discount my time, and take the
hit, although I hope you won't mind if I post a couple of your logs
onto the net, because this is wrong, that I am spending all my time
for pittance, fixing things that should never have broken, while the
megacorp responsible shoves the next load of tripe down my customer's
throats and makes life even more difficult for me in the future.

Then I wonder, what is the long-term solution to this problem?  I
already asked you this - I note you didn't reply....

Does this help explain things at all?

Stu

	Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Send reply to:  	stuart@...erdelix.net
	<full-disclosure.lists.grok.org.uk>

	<mailto:full-disclosure-
request@...ts.grok.org.uk?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:full-disclosure-request@...ts.grok.org.uk?subject=subscribe>

> On 23 May 2010 at 16:34, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
>
> From:           	"Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
> To:             	"full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-
> disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
> Date sent:      	Sun, 23 May 2010 16:34:24 +0000
> Subject:        	Re: [Full-disclosure] denial-of-service
> vulnerability in the
> 	Microsoft	Malicious Software Removal Tool
>
> > And where's the part where the system was rendered unbootable?
>
> The unbootable part comes when you replace NDIS.SYS.  Unless you know
> to replace the registry keys first, which is certainly not obvious
> from the MRT log.
>
> > And how did your users get infected with Cutwail?  Let me guess...
> > they are all still running XP and you've got them running as local
> > administrators right?  And they get to download codecs "willy nilly"
> > and are probably using Bittorrent to get illegal copies of software
> > pre-infected with cutwail, right?
>
> How do I know how they got infected?  These are all third-party
> companies (my customers), sometimes when they have cash problems,
> they don't call me, they try and do it themselves, or do nothing. I
> might not see them for months. They don't want to upgrade - they
> heard about Vista (LOL) and they don't have, or don't want to spend
> the money.
>
> This is reality, not some managed datacentre in Redmond.
>
> > local administrators
>
> Their apps needed it last I checked.  I didn't set up their machines.
> They have not asked me to look at that.  I have enough trouble
> getting work OK'd without putting my neck on the line suggesting a
> configuration change which I cannot guarantee will not cause
> instability, particularly with their legacy and unsupported software,
> of which there is plenty.
>
> Again, this is reality, not some managed datacentre in Redmond.
>
> > Bittorrent
>
> No, like this:
>
> "Stuart, need your help. My computer has a virus. Yesterday night I
> opened an email that I was expecting from a Bernice. It turned out
> that it was the wrong Bernice and it was a virus. It loaded Security
> Essentials 2010 which is a scarevirus to make the user believe that
> there are virus a pay for their software which does nothing anyway.
> It  has loaded a virus in the registry file. There is a lot about it
> on  the net. I then found a PC tools download to remove. However when
> I  turned mycomputer off it does not now allow me to log on. I have
> turned it off. I am without a PC now. Can you come tomorrow to
> resolve  it for me? Many thanks. Please let me know ad I need it
> urgently."
>
> > Regardless, let's see if we have your advisory correct.  In order to
> > be a victim of this "Denial of Service Vulnerability" we must first
> > get infected with something like Cutwail
>
> true
>
> > that runs with user interaction

> [...]

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)