Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:30:07 -0500
From: Marsh Ray <marsh@...endedsubset.com>
To: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: RDP, can it be done safely?

On 6/10/2010 9:10 AM, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
> To be specific, it actually doesn't require a "client" cert in the
> strictest sense.

But I thought it could be configured to require a client cert?

> You can configure certificate parameters on the
> server in such a way that certificate trust chains must be honored
> (close enough)

I don't get your meaning here. What cert chains would the server be
validating if not client certs? The server's own?

Or are you saying it's still the client's option to not present a client
cert?

> but if you want true client authentication based on a
> certificate, you would have to publish the RDP over RPC/HTTP(s) via
> something like ISA where you can specifically configure a listener to
> require client authentication certificates to be "presented" to the
> publisher, but that's not really the same thing.

I kind of thought we had it configured something like that (but I
haven't gotten in too deep yet).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731264%28WS.10%29.aspx

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll definitely look at this more closely as I
have some projects at work which involve MSTS and TSG.

- Marsh