Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:09:17 +0300
From: Henri Salo <henri@...v.fi>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Fw: [irc-security] UnrealIRCd 3.2.8.1 backdoored
 on official ftp and site

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:14:25 +0200
From: satmd <satmd@...md.dyndns.org>
To: IRC Security Discussion List <irc-security@...ts.irc-unity.org>
Subject: [irc-security] UnrealIRCd 3.2.8.1 backdoored on official ftp
and site

Hello folks,

I'd like to let you know that there's been a compromise of the
unrealircd website and ftp and the 3.2.8.1 tarball release had been
replaced by a backdoored copy.

I'm attaching Syzops original security advisory from
http://www.unrealircd.com/txt/unrealsecadvisory.20100612.txt

Yours,
satmd
UnrealIRCd support staff

Hi all,

This is very embarrassing...

We found out that the Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz file on our mirrors has been
replaced quite a while ago with a version with a backdoor (trojan) in
it. This backdoor allows a person to execute ANY command with the
privileges of the user running the ircd. The backdoor can be executed
regardless of any user
restrictions (so even if you have passworded server or hub that doesn't
allow
any users in).

It appears the replacement of the .tar.gz occurred in November 2009 (at
least on some mirrors). It seems nobody noticed it until now.

Obviously, this is a very serious issue, and we're taking precautions
so this will never happen again, and if it somehow does that it will be
noticed quickly.
We will also re-implement PGP/GPG signing of releases. Even though in
practice
(very) few people verify files, it will still be useful for those
people who do.

Safe versions
==============

The Windows (SSL and non-ssl) versions are NOT affected.

CVS is also not affected.

3.2.8 and any earlier versions are not affected.

Any Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz downloaded BEFORE November 10 2009 should be
safe, but you should really double-check, see next.

How to check if you're running the backdoored version
Two ways:

One is to check if the Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz you have is good or bad by
running 'md5sum Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz' on it.
Backdoored version (BAD) is: 752e46f2d873c1679fa99de3f52a274d
Official version (GOOD) is: 7b741e94e867c0a7370553fd01506c66

The other way is to run this command in your Unreal3.2 directory:
grep DEBUG3_DOLOG_SYSTEM include/struct.h
If it outputs two lines, then you're running the backdoored/trojanized
version.
If it outputs nothing, then you're safe and there's nothing to do.

What to do if you're running the backdoored version
Obviously, you only need to do this if you checked you are indeed
running the
backdoored version, as mentioned above. Otherwise there's no point in
continuing, as the version on our website is (now back) the good one
from April 13 2009 and nothing 'new'.

Solution:
* Re-download from http://www.unrealircd.com/
* Verify MD5 (or SHA1) checksums, see next section (!)
* Recompile and restart UnrealIRCd

The backdoor is in the core, it is not possible to 'clean' UnrealIRCd
without
a restart or through a module.

How to verify that the release is the official version
You can check by running 'md5sum Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz', it should
output: 7b741e94e867c0a7370553fd01506c66  Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz

For reference, here are the md5sums for ALL proper files:
7b741e94e867c0a7370553fd01506c66  Unreal3.2.8.1.tar.gz
5a6941385cd04f19d9f4241e5c912d18  Unreal3.2.8.1.exe
a54eafa6861b6219f4f28451450cdbd3  Unreal3.2.8.1-SSL.exe

These are the EXACT same MD5sums as mentioned on April 13 2009 in the
initial 3.2.8.1 announcement to the unreal-notify and unreal-users
mailing list.
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=49E341E0.3000702%40vulnscan.org&forum_name=unreal-notify>

Finally
========
Again, I would like to apologize about this security breach.
We simply did not notice, but should have.
We did not check the files on all mirrors regularly, but should have.
We did not sign releases through PGP/GPG, but should have done so.

This advisory (and updates to it, if any) is posted to:
http://www.unrealircd.com/txt/unrealsecadvisory.20100612.txt