Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:25:12 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: T Biehn <tbiehn@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Congratulations Andrew

On all those points, I agree.  But that's the problem - there is no explicit granting of rights unless, well, they are explicit.  That's why *I* get to say what is legal or not as the owner.

If you telnet to 80 on my box, and type HEAD / HTTP/1.0 then that's fine.  But if you type HEAD / HTTP/SIRHACKALOT then I can say you were trying to hack into my system.  And I could probably get some DA somewhere who's looking for press to buy into it.

That's the real problem here.  It's like Apple having the cops break down the door of the journalist who wrote about the phone.  That's Stormtrooper stuff if you asked me, but yet, he's got to defend himself against the charges.  And that costs money.

Anyway, I agree with you in theory on everything you've said, but the unfortunate truth is that there your implicit rights to data do not translate into explicit.