Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:47:37 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh@...d.edu>
Cc: "<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Introducing TGP...

> > You're using a 1024 bit key here which seems a bit gutsy ;-)
> >
> > Without better attacks, you basically have:
> >
> > Brute force AES 256 -> O(2^256)
> > Bruce force your 20 char password -> roughly O(2^(20*7)) == O(2^140)
> > Factor your 1024 bit public modulus -> roughly O(2^80)
> >
> > Since a 768 bit RSA key has already been factored I'd say you only
> > have a few years before a moderately sized cluster could factor your public
> key.
> >
> > Of course, as I write this I realize I'm about to sign this message
> > with a 1024 bit DSA key...
>
> Actually it's 2048, which I was comfortable with.  And don't forget the 16bit
> salt on that password ;)

I stand corrected-that key was indeed 1024, not 2048.  LSI still has some hope in cracking my key and getting that scan of my passport since I used "ancient encryption" after all!  FWIW, v1.1.07 actually uses 4096 bit keys, which I will update shortly.  Not sure if I'm going to make that configurable or not.  I'm thinking no, because there's no real value in using a smaller key in this application.