Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:38:02 -0700
From: merlyn@...nehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
To: Emmanuel VERCHERE <emmanuel.verchere@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: targetted SSH bruteforce attacks

>>>>> "Emmanuel" == Emmanuel VERCHERE <emmanuel.verchere@...il.com> writes:

Emmanuel> SSH daemons using password auth exposed to the Internet _do_
Emmanuel> get bruteforce attempts. I would not recommend moving it to a
Emmanuel> different port than 22 as that would be of very, _very_ little
Emmanuel> help - rather switch to public key auth (plus SPA if you're
Emmanuel> paranoid), et voila.

After being regularly nailed on my port 22, I *did* move it.  I've had
only *one* attack since then, down by a factor of 20 or so.

Yes, it's worth it to not be on port 22, as long as you're one of the
few. :)  Remember, these bots are going for low-hanging fruit... it's
not worth it for them to hit all 65k ports.

Now, if we *all* move away from 22, your advice is more appropriate.

<merlyn@...nehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>