Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:26:10 +0200
From: "Cor Rosielle" <cor@...post24.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: No anti-virus software? No internet connection

Believe it or not, I do use anti virus on my Windows machine at home and
even accept automatic updates (although MacAfee proved this is a serious
threat). But anti virus is only the second line of defense or the third. The
first line of defense is to "think before you launch a file". If a file is
unexpected, then I simply don't trust it. On several occasions this
prevented virus infection with an up to date AV-scanner (Symantec - I put
the file in a folder to further explore it after some days and then the
AV-scanner did recognize the virus). AV software does fail too.

For any home user who doesn't think or doesn't care, AV-software is probably
a good starting point to give some limited protection for Windows systems.
But such an home should realize he/she also runs risk when running
AV-software and might experience a false sense of security. And if they
don't think or don't care, they should think twice before complaining when
it turns out bad.

For any home user who do think or do care, AV-software can be a good
addition to protect Windows systems, but that is not guaranteed. Realize
that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease and also that malicious
"anti virus software" does exist. Anti virus is not bad by definition. It is
neither good by definition.

And I repeat: Tom has a point that end-users must take some responsibility
for their own computer. I just regret politicians make a lot of fuzz about
legislation that only helps a bit in some cases and invite civilians to lean
backward and believe they are secure because they have followed the rules.

Cor