Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:53:17 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: No anti-virus software? No internet connection

On 23 Jun 2010 at 19:23, Jan Schejbal wrote:

> It would be interesting to compare the damage actually avoided by virus
> scanners to the damages and costs they cause (including false-positives
> wiping out system files, the hassle with updates/deployment and the cost
> of the products).

The mathematical relationship between this "total cost of ownership"
and malware mutation rates will be particularly interesting.  I
suspect that TCO is proportional to malware numbers, and as malware
is mutating at 243% per year, +/- error, that would imply that TCO is
rising by the proportionate amount, purely due to malware mutation.

This in addition to the numerous other aspects of certain desktop
platforms, also known to inflate TCO.

The solution?  Dump the platform.  That, or hitch your budget to an
exponential curve.....

Stu

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)