Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:44:43 -0500
From: Marsh Ray <marsh@...endedsubset.com>
To: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Expired certificate

On 08/04/2010 09:44 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Monday, August 02, 2010 12:36:37 -0400 Elazar Broad<elazar@...hmail.com>
>>
>> Spot on. I know of one large accounting/ERP system(which shall
>> remain nameless, though I am sure there are those out there who
>> have come across it) that checked the SQL version, including the
>> revision number at runtime, which made patching SQL impossible.
>
> In those cases where there are such systems, there should be mitigating
> controls around them that increase the difficulty of break-in.  Otherwise the
> IT department is negligent.

It's not the IT department's fault if the vendor ships a product that
refuses to run with a patched system.

There have always been products out there that behave like this, it's a
simple coding or policy mistake to make. The attraction is that they
don't have to support any configuration that they haven't tested.

Unfortunately, products that do so are straying away from the herd and
choosing not to participate in its collective defense. They are still
subject to all the same published attacks, but cannot benefit from the
standard update and patch cycle.

A secondary effect is that since it's so hard to predict the security of
such a system over the long term, they simply can't be considered when
developing general guidelines and best practices. For example, we might
be discussing the schedule of disclosing a bug in the SQL vendor's
product. If the SQL vendor can patch it easily for their primary
customer base, those oddball downstream vendors are just not going to
get much consideration. Eventually, they will probably tire of playing
catch-up and adjust their policy.

- Marsh